Tuesday 19 November 2013

Life, sleep, souffle etc.

  I know, I've been terribly delinquent in writing.  Life has been going on mush the same as usual.  W is now working farther away so time starts earlier in the morning.  The furnace is going and it is almost warm in here.  Yes, I did see the spelling mistake in the second sentence, I decided to leave it because that's what my brain is like.  Last night I finally tried to make a souffle.  I have often thought about making one but thought that they were HARD to make.  I decided to make it with cheese as that is the most basic recipe that I had.  It was easy.  It was very easy.  I'll be making that again soon.  Maybe I'll make it with mushrooms, or chocolate.  We had it with steak, sweet potato and peas.  W's first question when he took a bite, 'Where are the mushrooms?'  :)  I think I knew he would ask that.  I would have taken a picture but....... my camera cord is MIA.  I need to get a new one.
  Sunday is a Fellowship meal at Church.  I'll be bringing bread and dessert.  Anyone have a suggestion for the dessert?  I need a new idea.  :)
  My sourdough is mostly used for crackers nowadays.  W prefers yeast bread.  I've recently received some blackstrap molasses.  I love it.  It tastes better than regular molasses.  I made cookies with it and they looked like I had burnt them, they were that dark, but did they ever taste good.  The other thing I've been experimenting with recently is Kefir.  Kefir is a cultured milk drink similar to yogurt or cultured buttermilk.  It is made by adding milk to Kefir grains (look like a cauliflower) and letting it sit at room temp for 24-36 hours.  I eat it with granola, in smoothies or bake with it (like buttermilk or sour milk).  I have also let it sit longer and then placed it in a cloth to drain out the whey.  It made a very nice cream cheese, tangier than a commercial cream cheese but very good.  A is awake from her nap so I'd better go get her.  Have a great day all.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Oooo blackstrap molasses is great, but it's been a long time since I've had any. I love it in cookies, especially gluten free and dairy free cookies, because it really helps hold things together, I find. I'm adding in cocoa, some bananas, small amounts of yeast and maple syrup to my diet in December, which is going to open up some more baking possibilities for me. Very exciting! I would love to try a gluten free sourdough...and as part of its use, try crackers...homemade g-free crackers are a lot tastier than the store bought ones to me, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always trying such interesting things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Nelleke, I only write about the interesting things. Most of what I do is mundane, or normal. If you check, my posts are sometimes months apart. :)
    Abigail, I could give you the recipe for crackers if you would like. Kate gave it to me and I've really like it (especially when I add other things to it like parmesan). I don't know how it would work for gluten free flours though. If you do a google search there are recipes/ideas for gluten free sourdough. I've seen one with buckwheat that looked good.

    ReplyDelete